Ted Turner donates historic Red Rock River home
The Roe House is Montana Western’s shining example of generosity, perseverance and pride.
The historic home began its journey to the Montana Western campus when media mogul and philanthropist Ted Turner donated the Roe House in 1998.
Click to see a slide show of the move.
Located on Turner’s Red Rock River Ranch south of Dillon the 1912 home was built by Edward and Effie Roe on their ranch in Red Rock, Mont. Their son Joe and his wife Margaret eventually bought the house and lived there for many years (Margaret would later play a critical role in the Roe House move and restoration).
How does an elegant colonial ranch house make its way over 28 miles and under 88 power lines? Very carefully and with the help of a multitude of conscientious individuals.
Upon the Roe House's arrival in one grand piece, skilled craftsmen and artisans began its meticulous two-year restoration. Essential structural elements, such as chimneys, roofing, porch columns, windows and electrical systems needed repair or replacement. The interior received fresh paint, wood refinishing, new carpets and period decor.
Today, the Roe House is home to Montana Western offices of the chancellor, Foundation and university relations.
At the Roe House dedication in 2000, former Foundation Director Tom Yahraes spoke on behalf of Montana Western to thank Ted Turner, Margaret Roe and others who made the Roe House move and restoration a success.
Among those acknowledged for their work and contributions were:
Jo Kay Lasich (Margaret Roe's niece)
Judy Staudenmeyer (Margaret Roe's niece and former Roe House owner)
Montana Western Physical Plant employees
Tamietti House Moving and Construction, Inc.
Montana Power, Vigilante Electric and TCI Cable
Kim Baker Construction
Bill Allen Landscaping
Dillon Garden Club
Dillon City Police
Chancellor Steve and Becky Hulbert
Susan Briggs, vice chancellor for administration and finance
Barney Brienza, Professor Emeritus
Fred Stradinger, Foundation Board member